Maria House (1822-1884)
|Maria House Talbot|
|Born:||17 Sep 1822 Oxford, Ontario, Canada|
|Died:||14 Apr 1884 Port Huron, Michigan|
|Father:||James J. House|
|Married:||1847 Ontario, Canada|
John Finley Talbot|
James Hartman Talbot
Nancy Elizabeth Talbot
Harry L. Talbot
Sarah M. Talbot
Jane Clarissa Talbot
From the Port Huron Times/Sunday Commercial
At the family residence on Fort Street, this city, Monday April 14, Mrs. Maria House Talbot, Aged 61 years 5 months and 27 days.
The Sunday Commercial, Port Huron, Michigan, 21 April 1884:
It will be three years on the 22nd of May next since James Talbot departed this life.
On Monday evening last at ten o'clock, Mrs. Maria Talbot left her sorrowing friends and followed her husband into the invisible country.
She was born at Oxford, Canada, in 1822 and married in 1846.
Her family were of Holland Dutch Extraction, and were among the early settlers of New York. The majority of her relatives are still in New York State.
Her father, James House of Croswell, Sanilac Co. survives her, and her immediate family, two daughters and 3 sons survive.
She was a resident of Port Huron since 1851. A kind and devoted mother, She lived only for her near friends and kindred.
Her illness was long, but her last hours were painless and peaceful.
Her funeral took place Wednesday afternoon at two o'clock, from the family residence, 108 Fort Street.
- 1860 Federal Census, 3rd Ward, Port Huron, St. Clair, Michigan, Family #1278:
- Talbot, James
- , Maria, F, 37, Canada
- 1870 Federal Census, Port Huron ward 1, St. Clair, Michigan
- Talbot, James
- , Maria, 49, female, white, keeping house, Canada
- 1880 Federal Census, 1st Ward, Port Huron, St. Clair, Michigan
- Talbot, James
- , Maria, wife, married, female, white, 57, CAN, NY, NY
- Portrait and Biographical Album of Sanilac County, 1884, p. 313:
- The family included eight sons and four daughters, as follows: Daniel, Joseph (died from the results of hardship in the army); Peter (died while in the army); Lemuel; Jeremiah (died in the army); Chauncey, John (died at the age of six years); MARIA (deceased); Nancy, Rebecca, and Almira (deceased).
- The family came to Sanilac County, Feb. 1, 1862 where Mr. House located 160 acres of land in Buel Township.
- History of St. Clair County, Michigan, p. 415:
- In 1835, James Talbot, accompanied by William Wheaton, arrived at Port Huron; and moved thence up Black River where Elder Beard was engaged in hewing down the pine forest. There also he became acquainted with the Brockways. After some time, he returned to his home on the Thames. There he married Miss Maria House, a descendant of the first Dutch settler of that name in New York State.
- Moore, Charles. History of Michigan, Vol. 2, p. 961:
- George Thompson...In 1886, Mr. Thompson was married at Port Huron to Clarissa J. Talbot, who was born at Port Huron, a daughter of James Talbot, who, with his wife Maria House Talbot, came from Canada to Michigan.
- Howse, Joanne Marie Heinz. Howse Best-Mar26,2005.paf file:
- Maria is born in 1822, while James is her father, Tryphena cannot be her mother as Tryphena was born in 1811 and married James in 1828.
- St. Clair Co, Michigan Rootsweb queries:
- posted by Wanda M. Talbot on Wednesday, May 7, 1997
- Searching for Descendants of James Talbot B: May 16, 1816 D: May 22, 1881
- Married: Marie House B: Sept 22, 1822 D: April 14, 1884 Port Huron Michigan.
- Buried at Lakeside Cemetery in Port Huron Michigan.
- John F. FINLEY B: January 19, 1850 M: Elise Catherine Brockman;
- James H. Talbot; Harry L. Talbot; Sarah Talbot; Nancy Talbot.
- James and 3 sons were partners in a Newspaper called "The Commercial " in Port Huron Michigan.
- Would like to find Ancestors and Descendants of James Talbot and Marie House.
- We descend down from his son John F. Talbot. Any information would be welcomed.